Although Windows 8.1 is an improved version of Windows 8 and contains many new features and fixes but there are many people who don’t want to upgrade to Windows 8.1. There might be many reason behind the decision of not upgrading Windows version. Sometimes there is no driver update available for a particular hardware after upgrading to Windows 8.1. Sometimes people face problems in the new OS and they want to revert back to the old Windows version.Even I didn’t upgrade as my computer would not show Internet in any web browser.
But now a few people have reported that even after disabling the upgrade notification message, their Windows 8 computer system was automatically upgraded to Windows 8.1 without their knowledge and permission. It was an automatic and forced upgrade to Windows 8.1. They didn’t realize that their computer is being upgraded to Windows 8.1 and once the process finished, they were having Windows 8.1 operating system in their computer which they never wanted to install.
This new update is KB3008273 which is marked as important update and if your Windows 8 computer is set to automatically install Windows updates (which is the default behavior), this new update is installed and then starts the automatic upgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1 operating system. Microsoft has clearly mentioned on the update information page that this update enables Window 8 to update to Windows 8.1 and enables Windows RT to update to Windows RT 8.1.
Now the question occurs, how to prevent or stop this automatic forced upgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1 operating system? Although we don’t encourage anyone to skip Windows 8.1 update as its essential and important update and everyone should upgrade to Windows 8.1. But still if some people don’t want to update to Windows 8.1, they can follow these simple steps to skip Windows 8.1 upgrade process:
1. First of all open Control Panel and change View by type to Large icons. Now click on Windows Update icon and then click on “Change settings” link given in left sidebar of Windows Update.
2. Now choose “Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them” option from drop-down list.
3. Apply the changes and close Windows Update window.
4. Now go to Control Panel -> Programs and Features -> View installed updates and make sure following 2 updates are not installed in your computer:
KB2871389 (a prerequisite for Windows 8.1 upgrade as mentioned here)
KB3008273 (enables automatic Windows 8.1 upgrade)
5. If you find any of the above mentioned updates present in the list, right-click on the update and select Uninstall option.
6. Restart computer and check for new updates using Windows Updates. Once it finds the above mentioned updates again, right-click on these updates and select Hide Update option.
It’ll hide the updates and you’ll no longer receive those 2 updates in future and you’ll be able to keep Windows 8 OS in your computer.
7. In future, whenever Windows prompts you about the new updates available, double-check the updates list and make sure above mentioned 2 updates are not selected to install.
That’s it. By following above mentioned steps, you’ll be able to prevent automatic update from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1 operating system.